The Temple in Beijing opens its doors to Hennessy X.O
Wrapped in mythical surroundings, The Temple in Beijing celebrates Hennessy X.O 150th anniversary
Hennessy invited contemporary artist Cai Guo-Qiang to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Hennessy X.O at The Temple, Beijing, hosting an event that spoke to all senses. The dinner was held under the expressive work of art “Color Gunpowder Drawing for The Birth of Tragedy” in the form of fireworks and was an ode to Mr. Guo-Qiang’s grand daytime explosion that took place in Cognac. As the sun settled and the guests mingled over Hennessy compound cocktails, the event closed with an immersive dance performance held at this historical monument.
A sensorial experience
An ode to Cai’s fireworks in Cognac
Celebrating 150 years of Hennessy X.O
A feast for the eyes and palate
The artwork "Color Gunpowder Drawing for The Birth of Tragedy” was unveiled
The breath-taking art piece, which was re-enacted by vivid floral designs, recalled the grand daytime explosion "The Birth of Tragedy" back in Cognac, France in September last year. Inspired by Nietzsche’s “The Birth of Tragedy,” Mr. Guo-Qiang composed a 15-minute fireworks event in three acts to honour the eternal cycle of creation and destruction and the human spirit that, while acknowledging pain, nonetheless embraces and rejoices in life, in harmony with nature. “We are now entering a new chapter of humankind’s strenuous odyssey. This art piece expresses my contemplation on tragedy, art, and the essence of life.”
From interior design to tantalising cuisine, the evening at The Temple, ended with an immersive contemporary dance performance. The dancers brought artistic interaction to all, with a performance best described as “searching and finding the truth, kindness and beauty in a distant world.”
In 1870, Maurice Hennessy created Hennessy X.O for his circle of friends and introduced a new style of cognac. Hennessy X.O is the Original, the emblematic icon of the Hennessy Maison.
Deep and powerful, the eaux-de-vie of this Hennessy X.O cognac are aged in young barrels and marked out by their power and energy, but also by their capacity to achieve a great roundness through time.
Our Tasting Committee has explored every facet of the blend and identified several emotions that were assimilated to an Odyssey through 7 chapters:
- Sweet Notes: The palate is warmly embraced by flavors of candied fruit.
- Rising Heat: The intriguing sensation of an intense, rising heat slowly reveals the complex taste of eaux-de-vie patiently aged in oak barrels.
- Spicy Edge: Perception of a strong spicy cognac note, tantalising the lips and palate with its distinct peppery flavor intertwined with a hint of chocolate.
- Flowing Flame: A wave of warmth grows, crests and then breaks. A robust presence, full and voluptuous, is felt.
- Chocolate Lull: There is the gradual discovery of something very familiar. It is the well-rounded flavor of a rich, dark chocolate.
- Wood Crunches: A striking sensation is suddenly felt – the vigorous ebb and flow of oak notes interlaced with vanilla.
- Infinite Echo: The evanescent oak notes leave a long, omnipresent finish in their wake. Seemingly endless, it echoes all of the subtleties of each taste and sensation that has preceded it.
Please register to stay in touch with Hennessy and receive our latest news.