WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT Hennessy X.O cognac
Go behind-the-scenes to discover more about this fragrant, long-matured cognac.
The Extra Old classification of the Hennessy X.O is an important legacy. This rich, fragrant aged cognac was one of the first in the industry to bear the X.O label thanks to Maurice Hennessy’s vision.
Master Blender Emile Fillioux created it together with Maurice Hennessy in 1870 for the latter’s inner circle of friends to enjoy on special occasions. While people like to drink Hennessy X.O all over the world, its initial purpose was more intimate.
Back when cognac was sold in traditional ‘Charentaise’ bottles, Maurice Hennessy’s nephew was charged with creating a cut-glass decanter worthy of Hennessy X.O’s exquisite contents. Today’s contours still pay tribute to the first pioneering, highly disruptive design. Artists at the top of their fields are regularly asked to reinterpret this special cognac decanter for limited edition releases. No rules, no limits. These collaborations ignore boundaries the same way X.O itself has always done.
Every drop of Hennessy X.O is an organoleptic odyssey. As an experienced cognac drinker, this will hardly surprise you. Our Tasting Committee has identified seven notes present in each sip. Palate-embracing Sweet notes, the intensity of Rising Heat, Spicy Edge, Wood Crunches…these are but four facets. You may also enjoy this aged cognac differently each time by pairing it. Dark chocolate is a beautiful match. Both are refined. Both highly aromatic. The roasted, bitter notes of the cacao meld harmoniously with X.O’s facets. Drink it with ice for even more complexity. Three serving suggestions, three different sensorial experiences: On a rock, on three rocks, over ice. Only Hennessy X.O is a complex enough blend that it could pair so well with ice so as to reveal yet another facet.
Imagine getting something so right, it remains unchanged for over 150 years. Our Master Blenders, guardians of Hennessy's cognac, ensure that each blend's quality is consistent. Continuity and excellence are the result of talent, of diligence, of savoir-faire. And what makes this cognac timeless.
Available today in over 130 countries, Hennessy X.O’s international presence is proof of how this exceptional cognac is deeply appreciated around the world.
In 1870, Maurice Hennessy created Hennessy X.O for his circle of friends and introduced a new style of cognac. Hennessy X.O is the Original, the emblematic icon of the Hennessy Maison.
Deep and powerful, the eaux-de-vie of this Hennessy X.O cognac are aged in young barrels and marked out by their power and energy, but also by their capacity to achieve a great roundness through time.
Our Tasting Committee has explored every facet of the blend and identified several emotions that were assimilated to an Odyssey through 7 chapters:
- Sweet Notes: The palate is warmly embraced by flavors of candied fruit.
- Rising Heat: The intriguing sensation of an intense, rising heat slowly reveals the complex taste of eaux-de-vie patiently aged in oak barrels.
- Spicy Edge: Perception of a strong spicy cognac note, tantalising the lips and palate with its distinct peppery flavor intertwined with a hint of chocolate.
- Flowing Flame: A wave of warmth grows, crests and then breaks. A robust presence, full and voluptuous, is felt.
- Chocolate Lull: There is the gradual discovery of something very familiar. It is the well-rounded flavor of a rich, dark chocolate.
- Wood Crunches: A striking sensation is suddenly felt – the vigorous ebb and flow of oak notes interlaced with vanilla.
- Infinite Echo: The evanescent oak notes leave a long, omnipresent finish in their wake. Seemingly endless, it echoes all of the subtleties of each taste and sensation that has preceded it.
Please register to stay in touch with Hennessy and receive our latest news.